Wednesday, April 29, 2020

THROUGH THE BIBLE (Ecclesiastes)


By Bishop Elijah H. Hankerson III, BA, MA, DD

LESSON NOTES:

I.                  THE KEY TO UNDERSTANDING THE ENTIRE BIBLE. If you understand that the Bible is written to show us how humanity was created for God, fell into sin, was reconciled through Christ (who was the product of a family) and God will restore everything through His sacrifice on the Cross; then you have the message of the entire Bible.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21 17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

                                           A.                  JESUS AND THE EARLY CHURCH TAUGHT THAT THE ENTIRE OLD TESTAMENT TEACHES ABOUT JESUS. You can preach the Gospel from ANY Old Testament book; just as well as you can the New Testament.

John 5:39-40 39You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Luke 24:44-47 44He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the ECCLESIASTES." 45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 18:24-28 24Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25He had been instructed in the way of the LORD, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately. 27When Apollos wanted to go to Achaia, the brothers and sisters encouraged him and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him. When he arrived, he was a great help to those who by grace had believed. 28For he vigorously refuted his Jewish opponents in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.

Acts 13:13-39

13 From Paphos, Paul and his companions sailed to Perga in Pamphylia, where John left them to return to Jerusalem. 14 From Perga they went on to Pisidian Antioch. On the Sabbath they entered the synagogue and sat down. 15 After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”
16 Standing up, Paul motioned with his hand and said: “Fellow Israelites and you Gentiles who worship God, listen to me! 17 The God of the people of Israel chose our ancestors; he made the people prosper during their stay in Egypt; with mighty power he led them out of that country; 18 for about forty years he endured their conduct in the wilderness; 19 and he overthrew seven nations in Canaan, giving their land to his people as their inheritance. 20 All this took about 450 years.
“After this, God gave them judges until the time of Samuel the prophet. 21 Then the people asked for a king, and he gave them Saul son of Kish, of the tribe of Benjamin, who ruled forty years. 22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’
23 “From this man’s descendants God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as he promised. 24 Before the coming of Jesus, John preached repentance and baptism to all the people of Israel. 25 As John was completing his work, he said: ‘Who do you suppose I am? I am not the one you are looking for. But there is one coming after me whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.’
26 “Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent. 27 The people of Jerusalem and their rulers did not recognize Jesus, yet in condemning him they fulfilled the words of the prophets that are read every Sabbath. 28 Though they found no proper ground for a death sentence, they asked Pilate to have him executed. 29 When they had carried out all that was written about him, they took him down from the cross and laid him in a tomb. 30 But God raised him from the dead, 31 and for many days he was seen by those who had traveled with him from Galilee to Jerusalem. They are now his witnesses to our people.
32 “We tell you the good news: What God promised our ancestors 33 he has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm:
“‘You are my son;
    today I have become your father.’
34 God raised him from the dead so that he will never be subject to decay. As God has said,
“‘I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David.’
35 So it is also stated elsewhere:
“‘You will not let your holy one see decay.’
36 “Now when David had served God’s purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his ancestors and his body decayed. 37 But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay.
38 “Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

II.                  THE AUTHOR OF ECCLESIASTES. It is believed that Solomon authored this book. It is inferred from the text.

Ecclesiastes 1:1 1The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

Ecclesiastes 1:16 16I said to myself, "Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge."
1 Kings 10:23 23King Solomon was greater in riches and wisdom than all the other kings of the earth.

2 Chronicles 1:12 12therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have."

                         A.            SOLOMON WAS PREACHER? The Hebrew word is qōhelet, which does mean, “preacher.” It basically means a person that speaks to a group of people.

III.            WHAT DOES THE NAME ECCLESIASTES MEAN? It means, “the preacher.”

IV.            WHAT IS THE THEME AND PURPOSE OF ECCLESIASTES? Really the purpose of the book is to show us the true meaning of life. Solomon had everything a person could dream of. But, at the end of the day, he realized it all meant nothing, without a relationship with God. And, the only way that we can have a right relationship with God; is through His Son, Jesus Christ.

Ecclesiastes 1:2 2"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

                         A.            MONEY WAS NEVER AN OBJECT WITH SOLOMON. He never knew what lack was. He was born in the lap of luxury (being King David’s son) and God blessed him personally with unimaginable wealth.

                         B.            SOLOMON HAD EVERYTHING THAT HE COULD WANT OR DESIRE.

1.               HE WORKED HARD, BUT THAN WAS MEANINGLESS.

Ecclesiastes 1:3-4 3What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun? 4Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.

2.            HE HAD MORE WISDOM THAN ANYONE, BUT THAT WAS MEANINGLESS.

Ecclesiastes 1:13-18 13I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 15What is crooked cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted. 16I said to myself, "Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge." 17Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. 18For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

3.               HE HAD MORE OF A “GOOD TIME” THAT ANYONE, BUT THAT WAS MEANINGLESS.

Ecclesiastes 2:1 1I said to myself, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good." But that also proved to be meaningless.

4.               HE HAD MORE WEALTH THAN ANYONE, BUT THAT WAS MEANINGLESS.

Ecclesiastes 2:7-11 7I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well-the delights of a man's heart. 9I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me. 10I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my labor, and this was the reward for all my toil. 11Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 5:10 10Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

5.               HE REALIZED THAT AFTER ALL THE SEASONS OF LIFE; YOU END UP DYING JUST LIKE A COMMON ANIMAL.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 1There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

Ecclesiastes 3:18-21 18I also said to myself, "As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. 20All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"

6.               YET, HE FELT IT WAS BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN ALIVE.

Ecclesiastes 4:1-4 1Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed- and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors- and they have no comforter. 2And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive. 3But better than both is the one who has never been born, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun. 4And I saw that all toil and all achievement spring from one person's envy of another. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Ecclesiastes 7:1 1A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth.

7.               HE FELT IT WAS NOT GOOD TO HAVE EVERYTHING YOU WANT; BUT YOU CAN’T ENJOY IT.

Ecclesiastes 6:1-2 1I have seen another evil under the sun, and it weighs heavily on mankind: 2God gives some people wealth, possessions and honor, so that they lack nothing their hearts desire, but God does not grant them the ability to enjoy them, and strangers enjoy them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil.

8.               HE FELT THERE WAS NO BENEFIT IN LIVING RIGHT.

Ecclesiastes 7:15-16 15In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these: the righteous perishing in their righteousness, and the wicked living long in their wickedness. 16Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise- why destroy yourself?

Ecclesiastes 8:14 14There is something else meaningless that occurs on earth: the righteous who get what the wicked deserve, and the wicked who get what the righteous deserve. This too, I say, is meaningless.

9.               HE FELT THAT EVERYTHING WAS DETERMINED BY RANDOM CHANCE (WE WOULD CALL THIS LUCK).

Ecclesiastes 9:11-12 11I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. 12Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so people are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them.

10.         HE FELT HIGH POSITIONS MEANT NOTHING; IF YOU LACKED WISDOM.

Ecclesiastes 10:1 1As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor.

                         C.            SOLOMON’S CONCLUSION WAS THAT TO SERVE THE LORD WAS THE TRUE MEANING OF LIFE.

1.               YOU HAVE CHOICES IN LIFE; BUT JUDGMENT DAY IS COMING.

Ecclesiastes 11:9 9You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.

2.               LIVING FOR GOD IS THE MAIN REASON FOR LIVING.

Ecclesiastes 12:1 1Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, "I find no pleasure in them"-

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 13Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. 14For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

                         D.            THIS IS THE MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL.

1.            HUMANITY STARTED OFF WITH EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE. The entire world and all of its resources were given to humanity.

Genesis 1:28 28God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Psalm 8:4-8 4what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? 5You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. 6You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet: 7all flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild, 8the birds in the sky, and the fish in the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas.

2.            HUMANITY’S RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD WAS BROKEN.

Genesis 3:22 22And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

3.            TO HAVE THE WHOLE WORLD MEANS NOTHING.

Mark 8:36 36What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?

4.            IT IS ONLY THROUGH CHRIST THAT WE CAN FULFILL THE TRUE MEANING OF LIFE (WHICH IS TO SERVE THE LORD).

V.                  JESUS IS IN THE BOOK OF ECCLESIASTES. Solomon was a type of Christ. Jesus Christ our Redeemer is the only one who can fulfill the three roles that Solomon fulfilled.

Ecclesiastes 1:1 1The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:

1.               HE IS THE TEACHER.

John 13:13 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'LORD,' and rightly so, for that is what I am.

2.               HE IS THE SON OF DAVID.

Matthew 1:1
The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham:

Matthew 15:22
And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed.”

Matthew 21:9
The crowds going ahead of Him, and those who followed, were shouting,
“Hosanna to the Son of David;
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord;
Hosanna in the highest!”

Mark 10:48
Many were sternly telling him to be quiet, but he kept crying out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
  
3.               HE IS THE KING OF JERUSALEM.

Revelation 14:1-4 

Then I looked, and behold, on Mount Zion stood the Lamb, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads. And I heard a voice from heaven like the roar of many waters and like the sound of loud thunder. The voice I heard was like the sound of harpists playing on their harps, and they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb,

VI.               PRAYER FOR SALVATION. As we close, if you have not received this Jesus pray this simple prayer:

"Father, I know that I have sinned against You. Please forgive me. Wash me clean. I promise to trust in Jesus, Your Son. I believe that He died for me—He took my sin upon Himself when He died on the cross. I believe that He was raised from the dead. I surrender my life to Jesus today.

"Thank You, Father, for Your gift of forgiveness and eternal life. Please help me to live for you. In Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment