Wednesday, February 14, 2018

WAS BISHOP C. H. MASON AGAINST WOMEN IN MINISTRY?

Tonight during an interview, I was asked about my views on women in ministry. According to Acts 2, the Bible says that in the last days "sons and daughters would prophesy." With prophecy in the text, simply meaning, "to proclaim." I then went a little deeper and discussed what I perceive to be the views of the late Bishop Charles Harrison Mason (founder of the Church Of God In Christ) on women in ministry.

Apparently, Bishop Mason did not have a major deal against it. First, Bishop Mason was known as a praying man. This prayer life was inherited from his mother (who had been a slave). According to an interview I had with Bishop's daughter ("Tiny" Mason), his entire quest in life was to, "recapture the prayer life of the slaves." Thus, the major thrust of Mason's ministry was inspired by a woman.

Second, Bishop Mason received ordination in the Baptist church. He was a devout Baptist minister; but soon felt that something was missing in his walk with God. Word was spreading around the South about the "Holiness Movement."

Bishop Mason (Rev. Mason at the time) read a book by an ORDAINED Methodist woman, regarding her experience with the Holiness Movement." The book is entitled: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY: THE STORY OF THE LORD'S DEALING WITH MRS. AMANDA SMITH, THE COLOURED EVANGELIST. After reading this book, Rev. Mason claimed sanctification and became a Holiness preacher. 

Third, when now "Elder" Mason traveled to "Azusa Street" in Los Angeles, California to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost; that local ministry (under Bishop William J. Seymour) made no distinction between male and female, in regard to ministry. It was in this environment that Bishop Mason was filled with the Holy Ghost. 

Many of Bishop Mason's churches and jurisdictions were "worked out" by women in ministry. For example, Mother Rhetha Herndon (the first Elect Lady of the International Department of Evangelism) was responsible (along with her sister) in founding over 70 Churches Of God In Christ. 

So where did the resistance to women in ministry originate. First, many of Bishop Mason's original leaders had migrated from the Baptist church (where there was no such thing as a woman in ministry). Even though Mason had little issue with it; the brethren were quite resistant to female "missionaries" and "evangelists."

Second, Mother Lizzie Robinson (our first General Mother) was also very indoctrinated in a Baptist background. She felt that there was a particular place that women should stay in. She had strong influence in the Church Of God In Christ. Her advice to Bishop Mason was not to ordain the ladies, but for them to be "helpers" in the ministry. Her opinion prevailed and that is where much of the resistance toward women in ministry originated from.

But, I would venture to say that it was not that big of a deal to Bishop C. H. Mason.Bishop Mason kept women that could "pull it" (using a modern day slang term) around and provided ample opportunities for them. 

Your thoughts on the views of Bishop Mason?

7 comments:

  1. Brother Hankerson, I concur with your assessment! Also, it would be most helpful to include the actual pictures of Bishop Mason with Mother Coffey as well as his wife seated next to him in the pulpit! Those pictures spoke volumes to me when I saw them! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Evans gmfst I believe in gen God dealt with this indirectly by starting made them both male and female created he him,created he them pleural to coincide with acts 2?think on these things study to show approved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother Evans,
      I am sorry my brother but what you just said MADE NO SENSE! Exactly what are you trying to say???

      Delete
    2. @chris Evans I think I see where you're going. I assume you're saying that God creating humans male and female; coincides with sons and daughters prophesied.

      Delete
  3. I found this page because I was looking for Bishop Mason's few on women pastors. I left cogic and became ordained in three other organizations. As God directed me to come home, I am now a aspiring missionary. As I study my church, I just notice that COGIC never resolved the issue of women ordination. Do you think we will ever get there.

    ReplyDelete